×

Thank you!

Partially Censored Database From Snapchat Intrusion Released

Unknown Lamer posted about a year ago | from the that's-what-you-get-for-trusting-people dept.

Security 51

hypnosec writes "Just days after Australia-based Gibson Security disclosed two vulnerabilities in Snapchat that could allow hackers to gain access to personal data of its users, hackers managed to get their hands onto basic information of 4.6 million Snapchat users and have leaked it online, partially censored.The database dump is available on SnapchatDB and allows anyone to grab it as a SQL dump or CSV text file. ... 'This information was acquired through the recently patched Snapchat exploit and is being shared with the public to raise awareness on the issue,' reads a statement on SnapchatDB."

Sorry! There are no comments related to the filter you selected.

Torrent (5, Informative)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45836741)

Don't torrent that (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45838089)

It only hurts the users. There's every chance you will be sending private data to criminals. No good can come from it.

Reasons (4, Funny)

Spad (470073) | about a year ago | (#45836745)

I heard that the data was acquired through a recently patched Snapchat exploit and is being shared with the public to raise awareness on the issue,

Re:Reasons (1)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45836763)

But did you also know that the data that was acquired through a Snapchat exploit that was recently patched was being shared to raise awareness of the issue?

Re:Reasons (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45836897)

Don't be silly. The data that was acquired through a Snapchat exploit that was recently patched and is being shared to raise awareness of the issue.

Re:Reasons (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45837457)

I wish they would have mentioned this in the summary. It's so important to the story that maybe they should have even mentioned it twice.

Re:Reasons (2)

fisted (2295862) | about a year ago | (#45837971)

FTFY.

On an unrelated note, The data that was acquired through a Snapchat exploit that was recently patched and is being shared to raise awareness of the issue.

Slashdotted (1)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45836789)

This account has been suspended.
Either the domain has been overused, or the reseller ran out of resources.

Re:Slashdotted (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45836835)

All of Slashdot's 17 active users shut down the site.. Right..

Re:Slashdotted (5, Funny)

crutchy (1949900) | about a year ago | (#45836879)

All of Slashdot's 17 active users shut down the site.. Right..

you're confusing slashdot with healthcare.gov

Re:Slashdotted (0)

dugancent (2616577) | about a year ago | (#45836905)

You're right, Slashdot only has 14.

Seriously, though, Slashdot hasn't had the user base to Slashdot anything for several years.

Re: Slashdotted (1)

johnsnails (1715452) | about a year ago | (#45839515)

There is an alternative explanation...

Re: Slashdotted (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45839955)

Other than Slashdot dying? Do tell.. This site won't be here in ten years.

Re:Slashdotted (1)

Badooleoo (3045733) | about a year ago | (#45842207)

I must be new here.

Re:Slashdotted (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45837737)

This account has been suspended.
Either the domain has been overused, or the reseller ran out of resources.

And it's only the 1st of the month. I guess his hosting will be back online in 30 days?

As they say in these cases (1)

roman_mir (125474) | about a year ago | (#45836813)

Worthless without pics...

Sorry, I don't do SQL or CSV. (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45836823)

Sorry, I can't and won't do anything with this data. I refuse to touch anything having to do with SQL or CSV. I will only use NoSQL technologies. I just won't deal with anything that doesn't scale.

Re:Sorry, I don't do SQL or CSV. (-1, Troll)

crutchy (1949900) | about a year ago | (#45836907)

try this instead...

http://www.mediafire.com/?jwzmmuhmyku [mediafire.com]

i hear it scales quite well

WARNING! Linked page may have pictures of penises. (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45837033)

I'd like to warn everyone that there's the possibility that the link in the parent comment refers to a web page that may contain images of penises. I haven't actually visited it myself, but I do feel that warning about this potential risk is in order.

If you're like me and you don't want to potentially be subjected to the whims of hundreds of pictures of large, throbbing cocks, I'd strongly advise that you do not click on links to web sites that you do not recognize.

Re:WARNING! Linked page may have pictures of penis (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45837069)

I thought bottoms liked hard cock? The more you know!

Re:WARNING! Linked page may have pictures of penis (1)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45837645)

WARNING! Linked page may have pictures of penises.

May? You're not sure what you saw ... or you're not sure what one looks like?

I find this development most disturbing.

Re:Sorry, I don't do SQL or CSV. (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45837009)

Dumbass. Load the CSV into your NoSQL technology. There ya go. CSV is about as vanilla as you can get.

reminder (3, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45836927)

slashdot beta sucks and it is not nice to redirect people to it at random.

The Slashdot Beta needs to go. (5, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45837111)

I've seen nothing but the most negative comments about the Slashdot Beta. While I've probably seen well over 50 comments expressing mild to extreme hatred for the Slashdot Beta, I have not seen a single comment saying anything remotely non-negative, never mind positive, about it.

How long is this farce going to continue? Why is this Slashdot Beta project still around? All of the existing users here who have been subjected to it apparently hate it. It will obviously not bring in any new users, never mind enough new users to make up for all of the users who it will drive away.

There's no shame in killing failing software projects. Slashdot Beta is, indisputably, a failing software project. The users all hate it. It is objectively worse than what it's replacing. It brings no positives, but brings truckloads of negatives.

Cutting one's losses as early as possible when facing a failing software project is a very sensible thing to do. Slashdot should cut its losses now and put an end to this Slashdot Beta nonsense.

The Slashdot Beta needs to go. It cannot be salvaged. It's unfortunate, but all of the work and effort put toward it so far needs to be thrown out. Everything about it is bad, bad, bad!

I Heard... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45837255)

I heard that Beta Slashdot is built using free range Python and other organic ingredients as against old Slashdot that uses PERL and is therefore useless.

Re:The Slashdot Beta needs to go. (1)

Imagix (695350) | about a year ago | (#45837455)

Just to ruin your streak... beta.slashdot.org is _way_ faster on my iPad than m.slashdot.org ....

Re:The Slashdot Beta needs to go. (1)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45837683)

That's not saying much. Drawing the site with a crayon on the glass of an iPad is still faster than waiting for the m.slashdot abomination to load.

I guess a positive thing to say about beta.slashdot.org is that it's not as bad as m.slashdot.org? Low standards - I can't live without 'em.

Beta is the new Mobile? (2)

Shadyman (939863) | about a year ago | (#45837699)

Maybe beta can be made the new mobile version, and then they can let us have our regular slashdot back.

Re:The Slashdot Beta needs to go. (1)

greenfruitsalad (2008354) | about a year ago | (#45837695)

it's because people who like it don't feel the need to post comments to unrelated discussions. i for one, despise the current look and look forward to having the new one as standard. then again, i would not want to impose it on people who hate it just because I like it. theme should be settable in account preferences.

Re (1)

Stalks (802193) | about a year ago | (#45840273)

I'd not heard of the beta until now, so I slapped beta.slashdot.org in and navigated to this posting ..... its actually not too bad. It renders faster, has a cleaner minimalistic look.. much like the way the web is going these days for the "flat" feeling. I believe this is like when Facebook has an update, nobody likes a change.

Re (1)

Gumbercules!! (1158841) | about a year ago | (#45843501)

I'm actually with you on this. Hadn't tried it before - gave it a shot and I don't hate it. Fairly apathetic on the issue - I can handle either designs but the beta isn't bad.

Make it stop, please make it stop (1)

mriswith (797850) | about a year ago | (#45840895)

I just tried it, and holy hell it is as you say an abomination. Took me times to even find your comment to respond to.. :|

Re:reminder (1)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45837317)

yes, but we can't have the poor 'designers' feeling bad about the fact that they are talentless little tyrants, with no design sense...

Avoid the random redirects (2)

Holistic Missile (976980) | about a year ago | (#45837757)

The redirect can be avoided by setting a parameter via the URL: http://slashdot.org/?nobeta=1 [slashdot.org]

Update your bookmark/link and you're good to go, old school!

Re:Avoid the random redirects (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45838025)

That is like telling women they will not get raped as long as they wear a Burka.

Re:reminder (1)

AbRASiON (589899) | about a year ago | (#45842213)

Colour me stupid guys but where and what is this slashdot beta? I've been posting a heck of a long time and I don't think I see it?

I've gone in to the options long ago to keep the site looking "normal" - I've got no idea what this place looks like without my cookie but much like IMDB* I'm very happy with the existing look, I didn't like the change to be honest.

* IMDB - IMDB is a "service" now - as is Gmail - a lot of things on the web should no longer be goddamn fiddled with. I still login and have the old IMDB and god help them if they ever remove the option to keep the old look for registered members.

Almost no value (2)

Prokur (2445102) | about a year ago | (#45836983)

The dump contains less than 5M of users (partial ID and nickname only)
I have registered on Snapchat 3 days ago, and my nickname is missing in this dump :(

Re:Almost no value (3, Informative)

Jaruzel (804522) | about a year ago | (#45837049)

I've just scanned the CSV version - they all seem to be US users as well, either that or Snapchat has useless geographical data.

What the fuck, son? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45837183)

What the fuck? You're disappointed that your private information was not leaked?

I know that the Web 2.0 generation has a complete disregard for the privacy of their own sensitive information, but it's really fucking absurd when they feel sad that such information wasn't unintentionally made publicly available!

Re:What the fuck, son? (1)

Rhyas (100444) | about a year ago | (#45843267)

I have no mod points, or I'd mod this up. Excellent response.

Re:Almost no value (1)

nanospook (521118) | about a year ago | (#45837661)

4609620 records containing phone number with last 2 digits X'ed out, an user id, and the location which is something like Alabama.

Re:Almost no value (1)

nanospook (521118) | about a year ago | (#45837687)

Location is actually more detailed..

Re: Almost no value (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45846847)

Never used snapchat, why the hell would it want or need location data?

Doesn't sound anonymous at all.

its not a full dump (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45837103)

Atlanta exhibitionists aren't included.

Yeah. Right. (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45837411)

Raise awareness my ass. They wanted to show it off. What a bunch of BS

No Silicon Valley numbers... (1)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45837425)

Many area codes are missing from it, including (for example), 408...

Buyout value is now ... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45837475)

Was it a month or two ago that facebook was offering $3 billion and got turned down...

I wonder if the value has gone up or down since then ...

I mean, afterall, how much damage to a brand's value could an event like this have when users find out their personal data has been downloaded by hackers?

Re:Buyout value is now ... (1)

Holistic Missile (976980) | about a year ago | (#45837931)

Apparently not much, at least not to stockholders: http://www.google.com/finance?q=NYSE:TGT [google.com]

Back the time window up to 12/13-12/17. I would wager the small dip in value was seen as an opportunity to buy, especially in the Christmas season. Also, one of the the wonders of automated trading.

Thank dog I have no idea what this is about. (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45839129)

And care even less.

It's all about attention. (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year ago | (#45839203)

People sign up to all these desperate narcissist social sites because they are desperate narcissists willing to do whatever it takes to be the center of attention. Who gives a flying fuck about their privacy? Not them, that's for sure.

Check for New Comments